04 Aug Stress in the form of pain
While it can be easy to recognise symptoms of emotional stress – such as agitation, feeling overwhelmed or having difficulty relaxing and quietening your mind – there are also a number of painful physical symptoms of stress. Some of these include:
- Headaches, due to muscle tightening around the neck
- Jaw pain from clenching and grinding teeth
- Aches, pains and tense muscles
- Chest pain, similar to that of a heart attack, due to thickening blood caused from stress hormones
Around 50% of those who experience back pain will find relief within two weeks and 90% within three months. However, when emotional or psychological factors come into play this ‘recovery’ time can be prolonged, especially if left unidentified and untreated.
Back pain can be bad enough, let alone if it’s enhanced by emotional or psychological factors. Research has found that as well as impacting negatively on pre-existing back pain, psychological factors can initiate and/or maintain back pain for prolonged periods of time.
Most theories around stress-related back pain focus on the pain cycle. This is where pain continues and is worsened when the patient becoming less active (due to pain). They can also become more emotionally stressed, timid and anxious about daily activities. The pain cycle itself is characterised by:
- Becoming limited in day-to-day functioning, as well as leisure activities, due to pain or psychological factors.
- Inactivity and build-up of stress, resulting in tense muscles as well as further stress and frustration.
- Limitations in movement and activity, leading to physical de-conditioning and muscle weakening, which in turn leads to more back pain.
And the cycle continues…
At 3Ways, our triad of health model takes into account all three key facets of optimal health: a strong physiology, a nutrient-dense biochemistry, and a sound neurology and mental outlook.
Working with our holistic health practitioners, you will receive an integrated health care plan tailored to your specific needs.
At 3Ways, we guide you in the right direction, helping you manage pain, stress and other psychological issues through gentle self-care strategies. We partner with you to help you break the cycle of pain and come out on top!
Book now to see how we can help you.